First of all, who do I think I am with this graphic and title, bell hooks?
Anyways, I’m going to dive into posting my first book review soon, and so I wanted to set out some ground rules. Have you ever experienced that moment where students are giving Book Talks or book reports but you have given little to no guidance, and one well-meaning, sweet, and well-intentioned student takes you on the ramble of your life?
Yea, I feel like that’s where we’re going to end up here if I don’t force myself into some structure. All of my book reviews will include the following five elements:
- Exposition, no spoilers: Just a basic outline of the plot
- Major Characters: “Who all gon be there?” ←—–A question posed after every social invitation
- Themes: Universal, core ideas
- Black Girl Goggles and Review: Reading through the black feminist lens, because that’s the life I live + is this something worth your time?
- Teacher Tips/Discussion ?’s: Unpacking how I might approach this differently in a class vs. my own personal reading; leaving at least two discussion questions for the book club folks
That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. Ciao.